Here’s a quick recipe to make your own hummus from scratch. Just follow my simple steps and you’ll be amazed how easy it is to make!
- 1 can of garbanzo beans/ chick peas 15oz (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 ½ Tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon of Tahini (sesame seed paste)
- ½ cup of sun dried tomatoes plus the oil *
- ¼ cup water
- Pinch of salt and pepper
Start by draining the can of beans. Then place the beans in a food processor with the garlic, lemon juice and Tahini. Give the beans a few pulses just to start breaking up the beans.
Next add the sun dried tomatoes, water, salt and pepper. Use the food processor to blend and make the beans smooth. If the Hummus is thick add a little more lemon juice or water.
The hummus is ready to eat right away. I like to refrigerate for about 1 hour before serving. Hummus will keep for a week being stored in an air tight container.
Serve Hummus with fresh veggies, pita chips, or use as a spread for sandwiches. Enjoy!
* You can switch sun dried tomatoes for roasted garlic, roasted red peppers, egg plant, pine nuts, jalapeno, the list goes on!