My Husband is a VERY VERY VERY picky eater….. He turns his nose up at about everything. I always try to ask him what he would like me to make. Usually the answer is I’ll go get something…..as in fast food!!!! THIS DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!!!! So when the Husband finally decides he wants to tell me what I could make for him I jump at it!! Well this time it was French Onion Soup. Yay for me because this means I get to play in the kitchen and share another wonderful recipe with you! So here’s my picky husband approved French Onion Soup recipe!
|French Onion Soup||
- 2-3 pounds sweet onions (approx. 3-4) thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves whole
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup dry sherry
- 4-6 cups beef broth
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 slices of crusty bread
- 6 slices of Gruyere cheese
- Pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot add butter and turn heat on to medium high. Once the butter has melted add sliced onions, salt, thyme and garlic cloves. Cook on high occasionally starring the onions. Cook the onions until they are golden brown. This will take about 15-20 minutes.
- Once the onions are golden brown, sprinkle the flour in the pot and stir to coat the onions. After the onions become thick from the onions, add in the sherry. Let the onions and sherry cook together for a minute. Next add the broth along with the bay leaf. Let the soup continue to cook for another 15 minutes.
- When the soup is just about done take out the thyme sprigs, bay leaf and the garlic cloves, discard them.
- When ready to serve soup, dish up a couple spoonfuls into an ovenproof bowl. Next place the crusty bread on top of the soup. Place a slice of cheese over the bread. Broil soup in an oven on high for 1-2 minutes. Just until the cheese melts and browns.
- Serve warm. Enjoy!
Leave a comment to let me know how your French Onion Soup turned out!!