I figured it was summer time and I needed to share with you one of my favorite summer meals! I don’t make this often but when I do, I love it!
: Saucy Mouth
Serves 8-10 medium crab cakes
- 1 egg
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped and drained
- ½ red bell pepper, finely chopped and drained
- 3 green onions, finely chopped and drained
- 1 Tablespoon whole grain mustard
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ lemon juiced
- 1-2 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon horseradish
- ½ -¾ cup of bread crumbs
- 1 pound lump crab meat, rinsed and shelled
- 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil
- In a medium bowl crack egg and whisk for a minute, to break up egg. Then finely chop the celery, red bell pepper, and green onions. After you have chopped all the veggies, use cheese cloth, or a metal strainer to squeeze all the excess juice. Place the drained vegetables in the mixing bowl with the egg. Add the mustard, mayonnaise, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, pepper, horseradish, and bread crumbs. Mix all these ingredients together. Lastly fold in the lump crab meat. Be careful when mixing in crab meat, you want to try and keep the big lumps of meat intact.
- Begin to shape the crab mixture into medium size crab cakes. You can make them a smaller size if you plan to serve as an appetizer.
- In a large frying pan, add the oil. Turn the stove top to a medium heat to cook the crab cakes. When the pan is well coated and hot, add in the crabs cakes. For a medium size crab cake let them cook 4-5 minutes per side, and golden brown on each side. Transfer crab cakes to plate and let cool for a few minutes.
- /3 cup mayonnaise
- tablespoons of cocktail sauce
- dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- tablespoon lemon juice
- tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Place in the refrigerator until ready to eat with the crab cakes.
- Serve on a plate with the sauce underneath the crab cakes. Enjoy!