With Thanksgiving just days away I thought I would whip up this new recipe. I wanted to make pumpkin pie but I wanted to make it with a twist! I started with using a pecan crust instead of the plain old crust. Then I also thought I would use coconut milk instead of sweetened condensed milk. These were just little changes that make this pumpkin pie burst with flavor! Are you daring enough to try this fun new recipe?
|Coconut Pumpkin Pie with Pecan Crust|
- *For the Crust
- 2 cups pecans
- 1/3-cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of butter, melted
- *Pie Filling
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¼ cups coconut milk
- 15 ounces pure pumpkin, 1 small can
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons pumpkin spice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- *Coconut can be added to the pie mixture if you choose. A ¼ cup to ½ cup of shredded coconut will work.
- Pre heat oven to 350°
- In a small food processor add the pecans, sugar and cinnamon. Pulse the nuts until they become tiny pieces. Place the ground up nut mixture into a pie pan. Pour the melted butter over the nut mixture and mix together. Then spread out the nut mixture evenly in the pie pan. Press the mixture firmly around the pie pan. Place the crust in the oven for 8-12 minutes.
- Mix all of the pie filling ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Once the crust has baked, fill the pie pan with the pumpkin filling. Place the pie pan back in the oven for 45-55 minutes, until the middle has cooked and is firm. Place a knife in the middle of the pie. If nothing is left on the knife, the pie is done. Let cool and serve with whip cream and toasted coconut.
- * To toast shredded coconut…. Lay out coconut on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350° for 2-4 minutes. Check on it to make sure it doesn’t burn.
Love to hear how your recipe turns out!
Here’s other Thanksgiving recipes